Physiotherapy is a regulated profession and all therapists are licensed with the Nova Scotia College of Physiotherapists.
Simply put Physiotherapy is the science of physical movement impairment, this could be low back pain, a strain or strain, rehab post surgery, arthritis, a stroke etc. Our goal as physiotherapists is to initially alleviate pain and promote soft tissue healing, restore mobility, strength and provide education and long term management to prevent further re-occurrences.
One On One Treatment:
At our clinic we are committed to the therapist spending one on one time with you to allow for efficient effective treatments that can speed healing and maximize recovery. Thus we do not book more than 2 patients an hour to allow our therapists to spend 30 minutes with you at each session. This also gives us time to address multiple areas of dysfunction and spend time on teaching you self management.
The initial assessment takes an hour and includes a though history and evaluation to identify the problem. A treatment program is then developed with you, the patient, that addresses your goals for treatment. Your therapist will discuss the expected treatment frequencies and length of treatment. Treatment will be started on the first visit.
Subsequent visits may include the following treatments:
· Manual therapy (This includes joint mobilization and myofascial techniques.)
· Modalities such as US, Tens Laser (These are used to alleviate pain and promote soft tissue healing.)
· Home exercise programs (Specific programs include flexibility and stability programs. We can also help you with suitable exercises if you have osteoporosis or other medical conditions. We can make modifications to your existing gym program or provide training tips for specific sports.)
· Acupuncture ( Used to alleviate pain and promote healing. It is also effective in the treatment of OA and other degenerative conditions.)
· Education (This is an important part of a Physiotherapy Treatment program. We aim to teach you about your condition and how to take an active role in your recovery and prevent re-occurrences.)
Physiotherapy treatment is covered by most health plans. We can bill the following plans directly, Medavie Bluecross, Great West Life, Manulife, DVA, RCMP, some Sun life plans, but not the federal government ones. MVA insurers post a car accident.
A Doctors referral is not required to attend Physiotherapy, however some health plans require that you have one for reimbursement.
Please note that treatment with Sally Shaw PT, DOMP are at the Osteopathy rate even if you are billing as Physiotherapy.
Initial assessment and treatment 1 Hour $90.00
Subsequent visit 30 mins $65.00